Tuesday 19 April 2011

shell chic

this is another example of creating something beautiful with what you already have & the joy of throw out time.


believe it or not i found this dresser thrown out right across the road from my place outside an old building that was being renovated. the dresser looked the same age as the building & had probably been in it's kitchen since the 1920's when it was built. 
it was pretty shabby but i liked the style and it was the perfect size for the kitchen in our art deco apartment. i could see its potential and i'm not one to pass up a challenge! 
i nearly did myself an injury dragging the old thing across the road determinedly before anyone else found it, it comes apart into two bits, but still heavy. 






all it needed was a few repairs, thanks to my partner a builder,
and a few coats of white paint. 
i usually keep crockery in it but today after admiring some dressers filled with coral and shells i was inspired to do the same. i collected shells, vintage bottles, jars & a few nautical things from elsewhere in our beachy abode. i like the look of the all white with a touch of aqua.  



not sure if this happens in other parts of the world but here in sydney the local council organises throw out days every few months when you can get rid of unwanted goods from your house or garage. it's a good time to find old furniture and a great way to recycle. one person's trash is another person's treasure!



have a great day :)
cheryl x


22 comments:

  1. It's beachy perfection! I even spotted a ship in the bottle!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did with the cabinet! All the blues and whites are just superb :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The white and aqua are simply divine. And you know how much I love aqua. Your styling is just lovely.
    Best Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. No 'throw out days' here. I love what you did with it and the addition the baskets. It is
    perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dresser was meant to be yours from the start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cheryl, What a great find and you did such a good job making it pretty... I too love the aqua and white,,,, I really enjoy your blog .Oh, and thanks for the follow......
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful Cheryl
    and I love the way you have displayed all your beachy treasures...

    I've threw out so much stuff this time round and it was mostly gone by the morning!! hha.. I once found a beautiful antique cupboard my neighbour threw out... rescued it and had it for years.. then gave it to a friend.. I still miss it.. hehehe

    Well you have given this lovely a wonderful makeover...

    Have a great week.. ciao xxxx Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks gorgeous with the white and turquoise and the perfect place for your 'collections'. I think we all dream of finding something like this at the side of the road...

    Thanks for calling by my blog, always nice to welcome someone new :) One of my miniature projects that I have in mind is a little beach house but I think I'd be in the divorce court if I even talked about starting it before I finish the projects I've got on the go at the moment!! I'm always looking for inspiration to for our coastal cottage in New Zealand too (the few posts there are relating to that on my blog are labelled 'real world cottage'). Because we are there for just a month at most each year renovations are slower that snail's pace!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore how you've put everything together....a wonderful wonderful job. And it can't get any better than bringing new life to what was a throw away piece of furniture.....it looks just gorgeous xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS I adore the beachy images below.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great find and I love what you have done with it ... I wish we had that system over here :) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great find Cheryl and your did an amazing job fixing it up! I love all your shells in there and it looks perfectly beachy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it all! This is something I would love to have in my home and I have lots of beacy goodies to fill it with.

    I have lived in a few towns that had days when you could put stuff out and most of it would be gone within hours and I drove around and picked up pieces for myself. Great way to save it all from ending up in a landfill!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now this is perfection - how dreamy are the colours? You've done a gorgeous job. I love seeing restored old pieces - well done!

    Keren
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a beautiful piece. I love it in the bright white paired up with all your pretty aqua dishes. Gorgeous! I love the bottom part of it, with the little drawer, and I love the beadboard top as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so beautiful. I look forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it! The items you chose to display really make it something special. The white colour scheme with touches of aqua is so fresh and wonderful!
    - Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful throwaway!!! They do that here in the states, but not here where I live. I so wish they did. You created a lovely arrangement and have given it a whole new life in your home. Newest follower.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the colors and display. Very beachy. I'm your newest follower. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey there! I just found your blog thru the linky parties. I'm now following! I love all things beach, too, and have a coastal home on Tampa Bay, Florida. Your rescue find is fantastic and I love how you've displayed your beach finds. Looks like we have a lot in common. I have tons of turquoise and aqua in my home, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's FABULOUS!! I'm so in love with it and you decorated the shelves perfectly. Hope you're having a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...